All year long, during the time of the tide, embark on an oyster farmer boat or a fisherman boat et find out about their rigorous but exciting workdays.
The oyster farmer or fisherman job won’t have any secrets for you with this experience shared by Léa, a young woman born and raised in the Arcachon Bay.
On a early friday morning, I join Clément at his cabin Perlostréa at the oyster port . The young oyster farmer and his brother welcome us with a large smile and a well deserved cup of coffee. It’s now time to embark on his “chaland”, a traditional boat : the tide won’t wait!
The blue of the sky and the sea mixed themselves and we can’t tell where the limit begins. The sea is quiet, and we quietly sail to the oysters parks where the oysters are grown. I lived here since forever but it’s the first time that i discover the background of the production of the oysters that we’re used to eat all year long. It takes 3 years to fully grow an oyster! The two oysters farmers answers our numerous questions.
I lived here since forever but it’s the first time that i discover the background of the production of the oysters that we’re used to eat all year long.
We arrive to the oysters parks that belongs to the two brothers. The tide is slowly going down, and as soon as the area is accessible by foot, work can begin. Don’t forget your rubber boots, which will be essential for you to be able to move around safely!
It is now time to put some oysters packages in the water, to turn others, to take some and bring them back to the cabin at the port : it’s a physical work, done all year long, whatever the weather is!
After several hours of work and observation, it is time to come back to the oyster port. We taste a few oysters on our way back with our braves guides!
I fully recommend this experience to the visitors but also to the locals. This is a total immersion in a captivating job, sometimes hard but totally authentic. An unforgettable moment!
You must make a reservation directly at the fishermen and oysters farmers. If they don’t answer you immediately, don’t worry, they’re probably at the oysters parks! In case of bad weather, ship breakdown or depending on the season, the professional reserves the right to refuse requests or to cancel boarding.
- Rates :
- 45€ per person
- Half price for kids between 8 ans 12 years
- Family rate : 130€ for 2 adults and 2 kids
- Nicolas BONNAT – Port ostréicole, Andernos – +33 6 63 71 35 54 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jean-Marie BRIAU – Port ostréicole, Andernos – +33 6 30 72 79 96 – email@example.com
- Clément DENEUVIC – Port ostréicole, Andernos – +33 6 77 71 18 81 ou +33 6 6923 74 80 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Romain NAIBO – Port ostréicole, Andernos – +33 7 5085 73 81 – email@example.com
- Olivier PRUNEY – Port ostréicole, Andernos – +33 6 63 14 38 78 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jean-François ROUX – Port ostréicole, Andernos – +33 5 5682 17 98 – email@example.com